Why teachers should be armed

Hunter Adams

Jozelyn Ruppert, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Feb 14 a massive school shooting took place at a high school in Parkland, Florida. With a total of 17 fatalities, 3 teachers and 15 students, numerous solutions have been offered. One such solution, as suggested by President Trump, is to arm teachers. And I agree. Teachers should carry guns in the classroom in order to protect students in case of an attack.

“It’s not a simple yes or no answer,” Mr. Anthony Ruzicka said. “I feel like there should be someone armed in the class room: a janitor, principal, someone should be armed.”

Someone in this school should be armed and ready to protect us if there was a school shooting. This could potentially protect us and save innocent lives.

“Some teachers don’t have the emotional capacity to shoot a person, even if that person poses a threat to others,” Ruzicka said. “In a live shooting everything instantly becomes more stressful. You have to be able to make decisions that mean life or death.”

Of course, the teacher carrying the gun needs to have the right training to use the fire arm. Mr. Ruzicka has already thought about this.

“I would like to see one person of the school district armed nobody gets to know who that is. I feel the person that is chosen to be armed needs to go through extensive firearm and combat training before they are allowed to carry around school and be recertified every 2 years,” Ruzicka said.

If I was a teacher I definitely wouldn’t have the emotional capacity to shoot someone to protect someone or myself. Some other teachers agree with this as well.

“Being around firearms makes me nervous, so having one in my classroom, or being asked to use one to defend students or myself, is not something I would be comfortable with,” middle school teacher Kim Drey said. “As quickly as things escalate, I’m not sure having a weapon locked up in a certain location would be all that beneficial.  By the time the registered teacher or administrator got to the weapon, the shooter may already have caused irreversible damage.”

Drey brings up a good point; however, if an armed teacher has the chance of protecting students than a firearm being locked in a safe or waiting for the police to arrive.

I know many teachers do not feel comfortable with being armed, but if some teachers were armed and can protect students, I think it is worth the risk.