• October 29One Act Triangular on Nov 1 at 4:30 p.m.

Trojan Times

Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Slashfilm & Fanfest

Slashfilm & Fanfest

Christian Dames, Editor-in-Chief

It was recently reported that former Guardians of the Galaxy writer and director, James Gunn, has been hired by Warner Bros. to write and possibly direct DC’s Suicide Squad 2. Gunn’s hiring is sure to excite the many supporters of both him and the Suicide Squad franchise.

The first Suicide Squad movie was a hit or miss with fans. The movie was plagued with poor writing, an inconsistent tone and underdeveloped secondary characters. However, there were a few bright spots. Many of the starring characters really shown and the premise of Suicide Squad was always a bright spot with fans of the superhero genre. Warner Bros knew they needed make some large changes for the sequel, and they have done so by hiring James Gunn to write the script.

Gunn is most known by fans for his work over at Marvel. Doing what many thought was impossible, Gunn broke ground by transforming the relatively unknown group of Marvel characters, the Guardians of the Galaxy, into one of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s (MCU) most popular franchises. Gunn is also commended for establishing the tone on the cosmic side of the MCU.

However, despite the work his has done shaping the MCU, Gunn was fired by Disney last summer after a series of past tweets were brought back into the public light. The move was controversial as the inappropriate tweets were made decades before his involvement with Marvel and Gunn had made great efforts to move past that part of his life. Many fans were left split on his firing, with many feeling that Disney was too rash with the decision.

With Disney refusing to budge on their decision, Gunn was left open to be hired by another studios, which seems to be the case with Warner Bros. Snagging Gunn was a great move on their part as they continue to shape their own superhero universe with DC. Gunn’s credentials at Marvel make him the perfect candidate to help shape the struggling DC universe, starting with Suicide Squad 2.

The first Suicide Squad movie received mixed reception when it came out and it was fairly clear that for the inevitable sequel DC would make some major changes. With Gunn taking over the writing, the sequel will for sure be a vast improvement and if he ends up taking over as director as well, that is even better for Suicide Squad 2. Gunn showcased his ability to bring a group of misfits together to become heroes in their own right in the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise, and he can replicate that with Suicide Squad 2.

Current reports state that Gunn is actually looking to take a fresh route with Suicide Squad 2. It is unclear what that means for the first movie, but it is likely Gunn will do a complete overhaul with the franchise by including a new cast of characters and a revamped tone for the franchise. Fans of the original might worry about this, but it may be likely that Gunn will still include well-received characters from the first installment.

While it is still unclear if Gunn will end up directing, it is still an exciting move to hire Gunn as a writer for DC. With his skill of crafting dynamic groups of misfits into multi-dimensional characters, DC has ensured that the Suicide Squad sequel will be another hit for DC (which it desperately needs). Fans of DC and Gunn will be thrilled to see what he cooks up for DC’s Suicide Squad franchise.

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

Venom review: before and after

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

Netflix review: say hello to the Iron Fist

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

A director is born

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

My Hero Academia

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

“Marvel’s Spider-Man”: a spectacular hit

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

Eminem vs. MGK

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

“Something Beautiful” at Red Rocks

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

Another phenomenal call of duty

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

Marvel director fired for decade old tweets: the debate rages on

• Ex-Marvel director joins DC

Entertainment

A movie of infinite scale

The Student News Site of Scribner-Snyder High School
Ex-Marvel director joins DC