Hydroponics in the Classroom

Krystal Bigley, Journalism Staff

Hydroponics in the Classroom article by Krystal Bigley

Mrs. Michelle Ryun is the ag and woods teacher at Scribner-Snyder Schools. She is also the FFA advisor.

This summer, Ryun ordered a hydroponic that is used for easier planting and growing of plants.  So far this semester, her classes are growing different varieties of lettuce.

“The hydroponic tower was ordered with Perkins funds which is for vocational and classroom purposes and for other programs. I submitted different things that I wanted for the classroom and that is one of the items that got approved,” Mrs. Ryun said.

At first she thought that the lights from the hydroponic were very bright, but then she found that when she was doing presentations and notes with the students, she was able to see the screen better and it added color to the room. She said that she loves watching the plants grow and that she got used to the lights after she had had it for a while.

Numerous classes were involved in the process of putting the hydroponics machine together. In addition to planting the seeds, students also help Ryun keep them watered. Some of the students have even tested the PH level of the water that goes into the hydroponic.

“Students have been able to eat some of the lettuce that was planted in the hydroponics,” Ryun said.

Students got to learn about how the plants grow without soil in the hydroponics. “The hydroponics doesn’t have plants growing in soil, and so they only get water added to it and fertilizer,” Ryun said. The water trickles down the hydroponics to water the plants every 45 minutes. Every 6 months or so the hydroponics has to be totally taken down and everything needs to be cleaned and sanitized. The machine needs to sit unused for about a week and then the students and Ryun can put the hydroponics back together and look forward to the next growing season.