S-S students learn code safety

Thibault J.

"code" by Thibault J. is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Cayley Schnell, Staff Writer

Six Scribner-Snyder High School web design students attended a Cyber Security and Software Development Summit at Northeast Community College on Oct. 4 to learn more about the perils of digital safety and online presence.

“I was glad to go,” senior Victor Zamora said. “Learning about coding will help me with my future career in mechatronics.”

The day consisted of four sessions: cyber security, Html 5 and CSS 3, IBMi development and web and visual development. Each session went into more detail about a specific aspect of online safety and protection.

“I think the best part about the trip was that the students actually got hands-on experience,” high school coding teacher Mrs. Linda Schafer said.

Since the field trip was based on coding, the instructors showed students how to “hack” their websites in order to keep other people from accessing them for a harmful purpose.

“We learned how to develop codes for websites and to be more cautious online,” junior Seiko Medina said.

At the end of the day, the students from all the attending schools gathered in a room for a randomized scholarship drawing.  Zamora was the only student from Scribner-Snyder to win a scholarship to attend NeCC.

“I wasn’t expecting that,” Zamora said. “It was nice that I got it even though I will not be attending Northeast.”